Chapter 2 | Criminal homework help
Chapter 2: Discussion
Please read the section “Crime Data from Law Enforcement Agencies,” especially the following sections: Uniform Crime Reports (UCR), National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS), and Crime Data from Victims of Crime: The National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). Please answer the questions below:
- Define the terms UCR, NIBRS, and NCVS. What is the purpose of each?
- If you could pick only one measure of crime, which one would you choose? Defend your answer?
Make sure to:
- Write a short essay or paragraph of at least 300 words.
- Use concrete examples/details and avoid generalities.
- Address all questions.
- Use proper grammar and punctuation.
- If you researched your topic and are using information from what you learned, remember to cite your sources.
- Do not plagiarize.
- You will not be able to edit your assignment once you post, so please proofread and spell check before hitting post!
- As part of the assignment, you must also reply to ONE of your classmates with at least 150 words. You will have to POST FIRST to see your classmates’ postings. Make sure your replies are a thoughtful and relevant to what your classmate has posted. Try to build the discussion and keep it going.
- YOU must post your word count at the end of your discussion and the word count at the end of your reply. Your references cannot be included in your word count.
respond to this:
In the US, law enforcement agencies gather information and statistics on crime through various forms of reporting. A few examples would be the use of the UCR, NIBRS, and the NCVS. The UCR stands for Uniformed Crime Reports, which its goal is to gather consistent set of crime statistics that can be used in the everyday environment of law enforcement. The UCR is a summary-based system which collects a total count of crime at a city/ county level. The information brought out by the UCR use typically used as an indicator to lawmakers, criminologist, and the media of the type and levels of crime that are current for present time. Often the information gathered from the UCR is used for research and future planning for the community. The NIBRS is the National Incident-Based Reporting System. This type of reporting enhances the work provided by the UCR by providing quantity, quality, and timeliness of crime statistics. Simultaneously it improves the method used to gather, analyze, and review, and publish crime. The NIBRS does a better job at including important details in reporting this is because it uses an incident-based reporting system instead. Both the UCR and NIBRS include information only on crimes that have been reported to law enforcement. The NCVS is the National Crime Victimization Survey which provided additional insight into dark figure of crime. Law enforcement agencies use this type of reporting to enhance citizen cooperation with officials. If I could pick only one measure of crime it would be the National Incident Based Reporting System. This is because with the NIBRS of the level of work provided with the NIBRS. Since it takes its time to provide more detailed statistics by default the quantity and quality are 100% better. With this kind of information law enforcement agencies can make better and smarter decisions within the community.