Case 1-the departed | Human Resource Management homework help
Submit your answers to these questions as a file (DOC) attachment below:
1) Is the Special Investigations Unit set up as a functional structure or a divisional structure?
2) Given the concerns expressed by Sergeant Sean Dignam at the end of the clip, why is a divisional structure most appropriate for the SIU?
3) What specific dangers might Billy Costigan face if the SIU were a functional structure?
- Jack Nicholson-Frank Costello
- Alec Baldwin-Captain George Ellerby
- Matt Damon-Colin Sullivan
- Leonardo DiCaprio-Billy Costigan
- Mark Wahlberg-Sergeant Sean Dignam
- Martin Sheen-Captain Oliver Queenan
Irish Mob (Links to an external site.) boss Francis “Frank” Costello (Nicholson) plants Colin Sullivan (Damon) as a mole (Links to an external site.) within the Massachusetts State Police (Links to an external site.)’s Special Investigation’s Unit (SIU). Ironically, the entire purpose of the SIU is to stop members of organized crime such as Frank Costello. Simultaneously, the police assign undercover state trooper William “Billy” Costigan (DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costello’s crew. When both sides realize the situation, Sullivan and Costigan each attempt to discover the other’s identity before they are found out.
Scenes from this Clip:
- Colin Sullivan graduates from the police academy and is congratulated by Frank Costello
- Colin Sullivan was welcomed to the Special Investigations Unit by Captain Oliver Queenan and Sergeant Sean Dignam
- Captain George Ellerby describes that the purpose of the SIU is to dismantle organized crime
- Billy Costigan welcome to the Undercover Section of SIU by Captain Oliver Queenan and Sergeant Sean Dignam
- Sergeant Sean Dignam, head of the Undercover Section, explains why other members of the SIU and the FBI will not be given the identity of any Officers in the Undercover Section